Monday 3 September 2018

Troops on Parade - Alexanders Macedonians


This week I'm back with the second part of the new Troops on Parade feature. A review of some of my figure collections, last time it was my 28mm British WW2 Desert boys, this week it's my 15mm Macedonian figures.

Big Man himself
Started around 12 years ago as a bit of an arms race project with a fellow gamer who was going for a Greek Army, it hasn't really seen that much time on the table and over the years it turned into one of the armies I added to every now and again but rarely gamed with.


Companion Cavalry
I have never found a set of Ancient Rules I liked. Most sets are designed for competitions and points based games, which coincidentally are the two things that, for me, send rule books arcing towards the waste paper bin. Those rule systems tend to break once they go outside their designed parameters, I want to recreate the sweeping majesty of Alexanders giant Phalanx (Ohhh......Matron) and the wedge tactics of the Companions. You can't do that with a 12 base DBA army !

That lack of rule set means my 28mm Punic Armies (no doubt a future feature on Troops on Parade) sit in a box unused. I thought Hail Caesar might have been the answer but sadly not, didn't work for me.

Thessalion Cavalry
The figures themselves are from Xyston, I bought them when they first came out. I was on holiday in Scotland near Edinburgh where they were made at the time. I rang the maker up at the time to try and locate a local supplier and he invited me down to the company warehouse (which was pretty big) and I had a great couple of hours looking round and chewing the fat. Walked away with a rather large box of miniatures, the results of which are before you.

The company also made a Sci Fi game called Void, the name escapes me.

Greek Cavalry
As a young lad I was fascinated by the story of Alexander the Great, conquering the known world at such a young age, his ability to hold together a large Empire and integrate into different cultures. If you haven't seen it the TV series Michael Wood, In the Footsteps of Alexander the Great will provide all the inspiration you need.

Red Phalanx

Bronze Phalanx
Blue Phalanx
I was quite surprised when I put this stuff out exactly how much there was, neck end of 700 figures, I still have another 64 figure Phalanx and 24 more Companions in the "to do box" so when I do find "that set of rules" there will be something else to paint.



Greek Mercenary Hoplites
I noticed whilst photographing the figures that quite a few of them had hand painted shield designs whilst the remainder had decals. This must have been a cross over army between the two. I will certainly buy the guy who invented shield transfers a pint if I ever see them, what a cracking idea.

Tharacian Mob
And finally some Thracian allies, I remember my Punic Romans being chewed up by these boys years ago so a unit of two handed weapons was a must.

Hope you have enjoyed this trip through one of my lesser used collections of figures, more from Troops on Parade soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment