Saturday 20 March 2021

A 28mm War of the Roses Diversion

Well this was a bit of an unexpected arrival on the games table, I had planned out the Analogue Hobbies Winter Paint  Challenge to a tee and honestly thought, the huge Legion I had painted,  "will see me over my target" . So when I finished my Legion and totted up the points being 12 short of my target was slightly annoying, but every cloud has a silver lining.



I spoke to Gareth Lane and Chris Breeze on the Yarkshire Gamer Reet Big Wargames Podcast about their #worldwarroses Project which will see players from around the world battling out a Wars of the Roses game over a weekend in May and I said I would do a little retinue to show my support for the Project.


So I had bought and primed the figures last month with the intention of painting them up post Challenge but needing points I started to paint, I did the Command stand first really quickly and decided to plow through the unit of Archers in quick time and the varnish dried on them 10 minutes ago.


The livery is for an earlier period (Earl of Chester) but the figures have been done as a generic Cheshire Retinue. I have figures for a unit of 24 Bill men and 16 Dismounted Men at Arms. 


I've always wanted a Front Rank army, I love their figures, I remember looking in awe at them in a glass cabinet at Sheffield Triples in the old Octagon probably 30 years ago, I have just never had the excuse, I've painted them for others in the past but these are the first which I'm keeping. After that who knows but I have no plans to Go Big with Wars of the Roses (stop laughing) but you all know I've said that before, with other periods..


So that's it for The Analogue Hobbies Winter Paint Challenge for another year, thanks as always to Curt for organising this wonderful event, I really look forward to it every year and I'm already thinking of a big Project to do next year.







14 comments:

  1. Very nice work and a great way to end the Challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are very nice Ken and love the simple colour scheme, plus the flags look great:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks, just a straight colour lift from the flags 👍

      Delete
  3. A superb start to a new collection

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Neil, not sure what I'm going to do with these but it was good to support the #worldwarroses Project

      Delete
  4. Very nice work. I especially like the command stand.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You know you will have to do alot more now. 1. because noone likes to see a unit all by its selr. 2. You are a wargamer and true wargamers do not paint singular units for any period, its the law !3. This is the most important reason. To give others something to look up to and try to achieve. Even though most of us will no doubt fail. Suberb stuff as usual.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks, there will definitely be a unit of Billmen and one of Dismounted Men at Arms, after that, I don't know. This year will be mostly Italian Wars

      Delete