Monday 20 July 2020

Kingdom of Jerusalem - Mounted Knights



It's always nice to finish a Project, even if it's a mini Project 😉 This unit of Mounted Knights rounds off my little 28mm Crusades Kingdom of Jerusalem Project and I'm looking forward to getting the mass of light blue and white together for a team J shot in a week or two when my King Baldwin command stand is done.


A unit of 12 Fireforge Games Mounted Knights, these are the Templar Cavalry Box Set which is more fitting to the 3rd Crusade / Outremer era I'm looking at, only 6 of the horses have carparisons which saves a bit of painting !

 
I've said this before but I love the look of motion you can get with these Fireforge figures you get a real impression of a charging unit, I'm biased but I love the top photograph it looks like the unit is charging towards you, time to drop sticks and run !


The shields are decals from a Company called Battle Flag and they do a really good range specifically for the Fireforge figures, they do most sets in two versions, a clean set and a battle worn set, I've used the latter.


I've used lowered Lances on the front rank and upright lance on the rear, this has allowed me to further brighten up the unit with 2 Kingdom of Jerusalem flags from Flags of War.


It's even worth looking at the back of the unit, which is after all the view I will get the most when commanding them on the table. I've used decals on the cloaks of the Knights, some are plain but others have been done with a half blue half white paint job to give some individuality.


Each Carparison has been done in a different pattern with decals on the front and rear, each blended into the surrounding paint work. It was a bit of a labour of love this unit at times and took quite a bit of effort to get them done, but the results were worth it.


The above shows the different cloaks and Carparisons off nicely.


A close up shows the detail on the figures.


Next up, in fact already painted are a unit of WW1 Turkish Cavalry and a post of them should appear towards the end of the week. I'm currently working on some Crusades command stands before I move onto some WW1 Arab Cavalry. See you soon.



26 comments:

  1. Fine work Ken, you seem to have gotten quite a force together for this project.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Paul, nice little side Project 👍

      Delete
  2. Now you only need jeremy irons to lead them

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A Jeremy Irons figure would be a big seller 👍

      Delete
  3. Those look really nice. I do like the Fire Forge stuff. My Hospitaler, Templars, sargents are from them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful work, Ken! Light blue and white make a handsome combination.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jonathan, it's a bit too Manchester City for a Bradford lad 😂

      Delete
  5. A lovely piece of work, full of dash and movement.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks AJ, they do look like a live still photo, lovely minis.

      Delete
  6. Very impressive looking troops Ken!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Truly superb as usual, love this blue!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Impressive, most impressive. These figures really do have motion built in, so to speak.

    Cheers, Ross

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers, A definite plus with the Fireforge stuff 👍

      Delete
  9. These are terrific Ken, well done! Fireforge rock!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I can almost hear the thunder of hooves. Excellent work Ken.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Lee, I definitely wouldn't want them charging towards me 😁

      Delete
  11. What rules are you based for? Or what is your preference? I have stuff in based mostly for WHAB, but have wanted to progress to Swordpoint, or Impetus.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, I am a bit of a Rebel and just base stuff how I want to, so it looks right to me. I change the rules to fit my basing and not the other way round. At the moment we are using Deus Vult rules for The Crusades. Tried Swordpoint and Impetus but I don't think they work for the bigger types of games we play 👍

      Delete
  12. Hello mate,
    These are lovely. Games workshop have just rereleased old world and I’ve gone in with Bretonnians. This is exactly the look I’m looking for!
    Maybe there’s already a place where you’ve put how you paint your minis but I’m interested in how you’ve gone about your white? It’s the first time I’m attempting it.
    Secondly, what blue did you use alongside the white? Lastly, I’ll probably get those battle flag transfers for the cross. Do they come as simply the gold cross transfers or are the transfers themselves have a blue and white background?
    Apologies if this is a lot years down the line. Thanks,
    Ant

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Ant,

      Here's a couple of Utubes videos that might help, first a review of the Kingdom of Jerusalem Army

      https://youtu.be/oUpkUC4lnp0?si=aiKJrCKb_7rGoa1C

      Second one of my painting tutorials where the base colour is white

      https://youtu.be/WJo7TNv1ZuA?si=TlGh3AYwI_1_DHsn

      I'd get hold of the Vallejo Black and White set which is the basic colours I use. The blue is actually Blue Grey, Vallejo do a number of colours and I work upwards from Dark Blue Grey.

      The decals come with a mix of styles, the cross and the blue is always on the decal, they are applied over white so anything white on the figures are transparent.

      Hope that helps

      Regards Ken
      The Yarkshire Gamer

      Delete