Monday 1 May 2023

Yarkshire Gamer Podcast 41 - Nick Schofield - Papal Zouaves

Todays guest is Nick Schofield and although Nick had a brief dabble with wargaming when he was younger he hasn't rolled a dice for many years. The episode is available on the link below or from any major Podcast Host

Episode 41 - Nick Schofield - Papal Zouaves | Yarkshire Gamers Reet Big Wargames Podcast (podbean.com) 

My guest works in the church and has studied in Rome so there is no wonder that he has gained an interest in looking at the British and Irish Volunteers in the Papal Army during the 1860s.

So with my first ever non-wargaming guest I have shifted things around a bit so regular listeners will notice that the tried and tested format has been put aside for this one episode.

I chat with Nick about his background and his wargaming experiences before moving onto the history of the St Patricks Battalion and the Papal Zouaves using his book Victorian Crusaders, published by Helion as my guide.


It was a great chat with Nick, he's very engaging and clearly knows his stuff and it was lovely for me to talk to someone about a subject I am very interested in as well as stepping outside the comfort zone of my regular format, its definitely something I will do again in the future.

Nicks book is available from Helion direct and also from many other book sellers, link below

Victorian Crusaders | From Musket to Maxim 1815-1914 | Helion & Company

Hope you enjoy this little excursion from the Wargames path and I will see you in 3 weeks time for another episode.

Until then Sithee

Regards Ken

The Yarkshire Gamer

Here's the previous episode in its Utubes format.



2 comments:

  1. Just listened to this one; a very interesting episode about a subject I'm only vaguely interested in (Garibaldi in Sicily and Naples is the only bit I've considered gaming) but found it fascinating. Nice to have a change of pace and format. Nick seems a very nice chap and interesting to find a Catholic priest with an interest in military history.
    Neil

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Neil, Nick was a great guest, very knowledgeable and great at getting his story across 👍

      Delete