Wednesday 3 July 2019

28mm Italian Wars Papal Guard


It's been a three months since I added to the new Italian Wars Project and after the big push for the Analogue Hobbies Winter Paint Challenge (which the Papal Army won the Challenge Choice Award 😁) my painting output has slowed down dramatically. But after years of painting I know it will come back, I have a new job at work so stress levels are lowering and the figure output is starting to rise again.


Now before the purists have a heart attack, I know this is a later uniform than the Italian Wars, I was lucky enough to see the painting "The Mass at Bolsena" 1514 Raphael, on my trip to the Vatican so I know what that depiction looks like but honestly who can resist the modern blue, yellow and red uniform of the Guard.


So I totally agree it's a bit of a fantasy unit but I bet you it will easily be the most recognisable unit in my army. Just need a 28mm Pope figure for it to Guard now !



The figures are 28mm scale from TAG (The Assault Group) who sell a Papal Guard pack which form the bulk of the unit, I've added some of their Italian Command figures (and a rogue Perry Figure after the new dog ate one of the TAG figures !) To make up the 24 figures of the unit.


The figures are equipped with Polearms and will make a pretty ferocious unit on the table. Flags are as always from Pete's Flags.



Next up for the Italian Wars Project will be a unit of shot whilst I also have some 1/2400 WW1 ships on the go.



26 comments:

  1. Beautiful! Mine also have a version of that uniform but not quite as stripey as yours! If you find a good Pope Julius do let me know :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers, You would have thought someone would do a Rex Harrison like Julius figure

      Delete
  2. Lovely work Ken.

    The TAG figure the dog chewed and shat out will still be better looking than some of the Casting Room Miniatures Italian Wars stuff :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers mate, I don't know if it ever came out ! I didn't want to look 😂

      Delete
  3. Beautiful unit, Ken! I say, "to hell with the button counters!" If you like the blue and yellow combination (which I do) then field 'em.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Jonathan, I think everyone recognises this as the Papal Guard uniform anyway 👍

      Delete
  4. Beautiful and realistic painting!! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very niece figs, one historical prob, the color scheme is from the 1540s, not the Italian wars era but this is still one of my top 5units I've ever seen any one paint up, you make me jealous truly.

    Regards, Ryan L

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Ryan, however I fully explain the uniform choice and how I'm aware it's post Italian Wars above 👍

      Delete
  6. TAG is coming out with some Italian Wars mounted commanders in the Fall(ish). Les hope they include della roverre and or a borgia.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's good news, you can never have too many nice command bases

      Delete
  7. Gorgeous papal guard! Lovely addition to your army in whatever way you want to paint them!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  8. A really beautiful looking unit. Wouldn't want to see them any other way than this! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers, Looking forward to getting them on the table

      Delete
  9. Wow, fabulous brush work, a spectacular and beautiful unit!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ken, forgive me but I've forgotten you last name and have so many Kens on my email list that I don't know which one is you. Please drop me a line so I can get in touch.

    James Roach (olicanalad).

    ReplyDelete
  11. i say enjoy your units and flavor and dang the pundits!
    well done!

    ReplyDelete