Thursday 14 February 2019

28mm Dog Tag Miniatures Italian WW2 Motorcycle Review


Sometimes it's worth waiting for a miniature to come along and anyone with a 28mm Italian WW2 Desert Force will have been waiting for some motorcycle borne troops to come along, we can thank Dog Tag Miniatures for answering our prayers.

A new company these were initially avaliable on Kickstarter but are now on general release, I ordered some before Xmas and thought it would be a good idea to put a review out there, having first built and painted one of the models. Link to their website below,

https://www.dogtagminiatures.co.uk/shop/italians/


Above is a short video, looking at the content of one of the packs of models, whilst below is a discussion and still photos of the same topic.

Contents of the 5 man squad code.
Above is a photo of the 5 man squad which includes, 1 Moto Guzzi Motorcycle and 1 Sidecar Combo and 5 figures (both bikes two up and 1 in the sidecar).

The models are resin cast with very good detail, the figures come with a selection of seperate heads, some of the other packs have excess heads and there seems to be plenty of variation in the ones I recieved.

Detail on the models is excellent and they are well proportioned, they do however contain quite a bit of flash (as you can see from the photo), they are easy to clean up but I advise taking great care as the resin is quite soft and I can see it would be easy to accidentally chop off the wrong bit if you got a bit excited with the craft knife.

Contents of a Despatch Rider Code showing spare head
I have made up a couple and had no major problems other than the clean up, the handlebars are cast in metal and I recall reading somewhere that the part was too difficult to cast in resin so they went for a metal option.

Trike model, built awaiting paint
Above is an example of a complete model from the range. I wanted a 10 man squad so I bought, the 5 man unit and the Trike along with an additional Sidecar Combo and 2 Despatch Riders for just short of 60 pounds, there is a 10 man unit for £35 (10 men on 5 bikes all two up) but I wanted the different models even though they were more expensive.


Above is a short video of a completed model, I did one of the Sidecar Combos as an example, I will do a full post when the unit is complete however I have to say they painted up great. The faces are particularly nice and really suit my style of painting. There is a bit of a flash mark on the front of the Sidecar which I missed on my initial clean up but otherwise I am very happy with the result.




Above are some stills of the finished model to look at. All in all a great addition to any Italian Army of the period, just be careful when you clean the casts up. Recommended 👍

12 comments:

  1. What a crackign model, nice oen Ken

    ReplyDelete
  2. I see you only now! Excellent work indeed! Are those figures still available at Dog tag minis?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think the bikes are available anymore, I haven't heard from Dog Tag in a while. I heard rumours that someone else was going to produce these but haven't seen anything yet.

      Regards Ken

      Delete
    2. Thanks Ken, I have been looking around and asking a number of people but no one seems to know. If you ever hear anything about them (or in the unlikely case that you have some spares that you do not need any longer!) I would greatly appreciate if if you could drop me an email at leopoldo.nuti@gmail.com

      Delete
    3. I will let you know if I hear anything and sadly I have none left ! They were really nice models so I am sure they will turn up somewhere !

      Regards Ken

      Delete
  3. Has Dog Tag Miniatures gone out of business? The link doesn't work. Those were nice miniatures, but too bad the company is a ghost.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sadly they have disappeared, other than the rumours mentioned above that someone has bought the range, I know nothing more.

      Regards Ken
      The Yarkshire Gamer

      Delete