Saturday 20 February 2021

A Yarkshire Gamer Podcast

 

Alight I have gone and done it now, from moaning a bucket about there being no big game podcasts out there, a little voice in the back of my head (fuelled) by some very fine single malt Irish Whiskey said "Stop moaning lad, crack on and do it thissen"

So here it is the first (very much Pilot) episode of Yarkshire Gamers Reet Grand Toy Soldier Adventures, an audio delight for all (well some 😉 gamers)

Link to the Pilot Episode

I've tried to upset as many people as I can in the first episode 🙃  but this really isn't a negative podcast, it a rallying cry to the Big Game Gamers out their to stand up and shout out loud "I like it BIG". 

Small scales have their own podcast (nice work Sean on God's Own Scale" and many others concentrate on the new shiny which inevitably a 10 figure a side skirmish in a box thingy that will be dead quicker that a May fly ! 

In the Pilot I have outlined what I want to do with the Podcast, discuss my start in gaming (in 4 minutes 😀)  and try and define what a big game actually is. Its not perfect but its a start.

So if you like a Big Game on a Big Table with buckets full of figures this is for you.

14 comments:

  1. Good stuff, Ken. I was fortunate enough to game at Peter Gilder's holiday centre back in the day, where Big Battles were the norm. My UK club often puts on big battles with 20-foot tables, and had breathtaking D-Day and Waterloo three-day events a couple years ago. Although time and cost means I can't get the big figures in any more, I still like the big games. Here's to many more podcasts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks AJ, the Big Games are out there and I intend to find them 👍

      Delete
  2. Will we still be able to get your excellent reports on You Tube as normal? I really enjoy your reports.
    Thanks,
    Rod

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rod, thank you very much, you will be glad to know that it will be business as usual on Yarkshire TV, there will be the usual monthly update on Mon and Tuesday, then a Spanish Civil War playthrough 👍

      Delete
  3. Loved it - Thanks Ken.

    I'm very much looking forward to the next episodes. We have played a few big games in Australia - Market Garden twice on very large tables and also Borodino in 15mm (sssh - may not have been 12 foot long). But I have also been lucky enough to get to the Wargames Holiday Centre when it was in Scarborogh when i worked in London in the mid 90s and also to one of the large 20mm WWII games that were held through the Society of Gentlemen Gamers - it was Crete and was in a hall in a small town in Yorkshire.

    Personally I am painting for the 1813 campaigns in 6mm using Adler figures at 1:20 (not sure I can get all of Leipzig ona table though) as well as 28mm Italian Wars with an intention to do Pavia in 2025.

    Richard

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brilliant Richard, great to have you on board. If you follow the blog you will know my love of the Italian Wars. I do hope this takes off and it becomes a regular thing 👍

      Delete
  4. Great stuff Ken, as a fellow big gamer I applaud you!

    Looking forward to your updates

    Cheers
    Matt
    French Wargame Holidays

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many Thanks Matt, us big gamers need to stick together 😁

      Delete
  5. Nice idea - I have just listened to the pilot and enjoyed it, thanks for starting this up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Gareth great to have you on board 👍

      Delete
  6. Very entertaining podcast - we seem to be a similar vintage!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jeremy, like a fine wine we get better everyday 😄

      Delete
  7. Not listened in yet but will do this weekend. We fools at Marauder Moments are all about the BIG BATTALION BIG GAME so I'm all over this.
    Best of luck with it, stay safe,
    Jeremy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jeremy, the First full episode is up as well now,hope you enjoy it, my sound quality and editing can only get better 😀

      Delete