Thursday 4 June 2020

Troops on Parade - 28mm ECW Royalist


There is something very cathartic above setting a gaming collection out on the table for inspection. It's something I have reet enjoyed since starting this feature a few years back. Is it the joy of seeing the collection all together on the table or looking at the mass ranks with a sense of achievement, I don't know, but I do know that most of my fellow gamers will "get it".


As is becoming the norm at YG I have done a Yarkshire TV special on the Utubes to accompany the post (link above), for those that prefer static photos and text see below. For rules we play a homebrew  modified version of Forlorn Hope.

All the figures are metal, this was before the days of cheap plastic soldiers, all the bases have a reassuringly weighty feel.


Starting on the right of the Army we have Prince Rupert (with his dog) and his group of Cavalry. These figures are all from Perrys bar the command which are Bicorne.


Over on the left I have my other wing of Cavalry, these are made up of Bicorne miniatures with a single unit of Renegade horse. At the head of the line is the Kings Mounted Lifeguard.

Another view of the left wing of Cavalry
The Infantry in the middle are all from Renegade, I can't remember the exact details but I bought a load of them in one go during a deal they were running.


Those of you familiar with the period will recognise the flags of the units on show, rather than go for a specific army in terms of location and year I have picked and chosen from a number, with units from the Oxford Army and the Armies in Cheshire most prominent. Front rank here right to left as viewed are Talbots, Lifeguard and Ruperts.


The Lifeguard was a particular joy with the extra flags. Forlorn Hope is a 33:1 scale (in terms of men to models) game so my units are between 16 and 30 figures strong but generally 20 or 24. We have found that units are just not viable with less than 16 figures.


You can see from the bases that this is pre grass tufts days, some units in the Army have the original versions of tufts. We used to buy packs of coloured bristles from Railway Modelling shops, clump them up and glue one end, wait for them to dry and chop the top off. It was very slow and I have up on it, maybe 4 or 5 units in the Army have them.


My favourite unit in the Army is this little 16 figure Chester Milita Regiment with its own made up flag "Forward for God and Cheshire" it implores.


The personality figures are all Bicorne, here we have Sir Jacob Astley Commander of Foote.


Prince Rupert of the Rhine, Commander of Horse.


The main man himself King Charles, with Royal Standard carried by Sir Edmund Verney, odd figure, whatever I do the flag won't come off 🤔


The guns are mostly Old Glory with a couple of Perrys Figures, I do seem to have bought rather a lot.


In between the guns are a number of individually based figures from Wargames Foundry which cover a number of functions, Forlorn Hope, Engineers, Rappers and Snipers.


I love an army with lots of flags, it's not quite the Italian Wars but it's not far off. Most annoyingly after packing all the figs away I realised I forgot to put out my two units of Dragoons (mounted and dismounted) as well as my single unit of Cuirass 😣


Hopefully you have enjoyed that bit of fun, hopefully in a few weeks tine we will be back gaming.

21 comments:

  1. A fabulous looking collection. I’m still drawn to the gloss look, although I’m using a Matt finish at the moment. God Save the King!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers, Not sure about the varnish, they definitely aren't gloss as I have never used it. I used Humbrol Satin Cote for a long time which gives a slight sheen on figures so it might be that. My horses always look a bit shiny as I use oils.
      Regards Ken

      Delete
  2. Great selection and so nicely done. Quite the sight on the table.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A splendid array, mate! Yes, it's great to get the chaps out for a bit of a parade. Gives a nice sense of accomplishment to see all the hard work painting etc. pay off.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers AJ, keeps me busy with no gaming going on 👍

      Delete
  4. Ken these are utterly spectacular! Very nice indeed! Love the canine unit 😃👍🏻

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks, an army isn't complete without a War Poodle 👍

      Delete
  5. A stunning Royalist ECW collection!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bloomin' marvellous stuff! What on here, Instagram and now the Utube - there's no stopping yer ;) (pssst! Would you be willing to share your home brew of Forlorn Hope rules? I too am a fan of them, but don't tell a soul!) :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers, No problems just let me have you're e-mail. Happy to share them openly as you have to have the Forlorn Hope rules to use my amendments so no one loses out.

      Don't forget the Twitter and Facebook pages 😂

      Regards Ken

      Delete
  7. Splendid looking ECW troops! They look great, everyone loves a parade! I really like how bicorne cover so many commanders, I have been cleaning up some more Essex cavalry, very tempting!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Iain, the Bicorne range of Personality figures is superb, I do wonder how well some of the lesser known names sell.

      Delete
  8. Fantastic! A *very* impressive collection there.
    Cheers
    Matt

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely stuff Ken.
    I keep waning to dip back into ECW, but as Vicoria reminds me I've sold five painted 28mm ECW armies over the years....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Paul, that's bad if the other half remembers 😂

      Delete
  10. A lovely and impressive collection!

    ReplyDelete
  11. A superb collection, and yes I get what you mean when you want to put them all out on table to get the satisfaction of a job well done as well as reminding yourself how many there are!

    Currently I'm ploughing through an Italian Wars project which hopefully my local club will put on an all day IW's game once a degree of normality is achieved, and it would be a good idea to put what I've done together to get an idea of numbers and appearance.

    Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Paul, as you probably know I'm a big fan of Italian Wars too, first choice of game post lockdown is not go8ng to be easy 👍

      Delete