Thursday 14 March 2019

WW2 Italian Bersaglieri Motorcycle Squad


Last month a did a little review and a couple of videos on the excellent 28mm Italian Motorcycles from Dog Tag Miniatures.

https://yarkshiregamer.blogspot.com/2019/02/28mm-dog-tag-miniatures-italian-ww2.html

I have constructed, painted and based the entire squad now ready for their first action in our next Op Compass Campaign Game in a few weeks time.


The first model type in the squad are these rider only solo motorcycles, titled Despatch Riders. I particularly like the scarf covered faces and the dark shades, almost the CHiPs of the desert.


Then we have a motorbike and pillion passenger both in a firing position, not sure who is steering !


Next up are two Sidecar Combos one of which was the "model" for the initial review post. I have had a bit of difficulty with the join between bike and sidecar which I found quite fragile and difficult to bend to the correct angle without breaking it. I ended up putting supports under the sidecar and using grass tufts to hide them.


There was a few queries on the previous post about whether or not the sidecar is on the correct side, it is, I have a photo of an original. The BMW 75 combo used by the German Forces has the side car on the other side as is normal for countries who drive on the right however these are Moto Guzzi bikes made in Lecco on Lake Como in Northern Italy.


My basic research into this discovered that until Mussolini came to power there was no official side of the road to drive on (those who have driven in Italy will vouch that nothing has changed !). Before El Duce proclaimed that people would drive on the right the North tended to favour left hand drive and there is some suggestion that some areas held out as a "lefty" for some time, therefore I can only assume that as Moto Guzzi came from the North their factory was tooled up for this. That's my theory, any Italian friends out there ?


The final model is this trike which I absolutely love. The mini is bought with an open back and I have added an Ammo box I had lying around and sat a figure on it. The figure came as a pillion rider for one of the Sidecar Combos but I preferred him like this.


These are a great addition to my Italian Desert Force and something I have been waiting for, for a long time.


And yes I did give them individual number plates.


14 comments:

  1. Very good figures and painting! :-)
    We don't want to be seat at the place of the men on the wooden box!
    ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much, he's the lucky one, got picture of 4 guys in the back of one !

      Delete
  2. What a wonderful collection of motorcycles, I'm jealous!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice! The scarves and goggles really make those riders.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers AJ, essential in this years Desert Collection 😎

      Delete
  4. That's a great looking unit! I had a good laugh at the "CHiPs of the Desert" comment. I like the guy sitting on the ammo box too - I feel like he might get launched off it if they hit a big bump though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's lucky, it's the guys walking I feel sorry for, Welcome to Yarkshire Gamer 👍

      Delete
  5. You certainly have a thing for everything Italian at the moment Ken. These look superb!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ray, must have been my Italian holiday in October !

      Delete
  6. excellent work! do you know if the company is still active? I can't seem to be able to find a site

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think Dog Tag Miniatures are still around, quite a few people have asked me but I can't find them. There are rumours that they have been picked up by another company but I don't know who.

      Delete