Thursday 20 May 2021

Yarkshire Gamers May 2021 Wargames Update

 

It seems to come round quicker each month, here we are at the end of May and it's time for the usual monthly update. As social media interactions continue to reduce when it comes to blogs they are massively on the up with other platforms, the golden age of the blog is well and truly over.

I've found these YouTube / Blog posts a good way to summarise what might have been 4 or 5 posts on the old way of blogging. I'm not ready to turn the lights out on the blog just yet, I still think it's the best format for scenarios and "thinking" pieces so hopefully people will keep visiting.

Above is the video review of the month, 2 new units completed, the Big Pike Block at the top of the page and a unit of Mounted Arquebus.

Whilst my Italian Spearmen nearly made it into the finished pile but didn't quite make it.

I've been a lot more frugal this month with purchases from Gringo 40, Steel Fist and Team Yankee to watch on the video.

Thanks for watching, back next month with another month update, there will be articles on my WW1 British Naval Collection and the build of the Italian Spearmen on the blog over the next week or so.

14 comments:

  1. Guess I am a luddite, please continue the blog as long as you are able. I find the blogs much more useful than the 'casts.'

    ReplyDelete
  2. The pike block looks superb. Keep up with the blogging. Still my preferred social media for wargaming.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Neil, sometimes it feels like I'm blogging to myself !

      Delete
  3. That pike block is very impressive and a joy to behold. Now I think I may be getting old as I'm not a fan of Youtube videos, much preferring Blog posts. Why you may ask? Well with a Blog post I can scan it very quickly to see what it contains, what interests me (or not) and then I can re-read it at my leisure. This is something I was taught to do way back when I studied 'A' level history. I can't do this with Youtube videos. Just my two penneth!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you Steve and I think very much the same way, sadly the viewing public have shifted massively away from blogs, a lack of concentration, a want for the immediate hit, I don't know.
      My blog posts attract 60 to 70 % less visitors than they did only a couple of years ago. Its pretty disheartening, especially when in general Blog Posts take a lot of time to prepare.
      I still think it's the best place for after action reports etc and as gaming starts up again there will be a few more of those soon.
      Regards Ken

      Delete
    2. My posts attract less visitors too, but I think a lot of those came from Russian way back when, so weren't 'real' readers as it were. I have a few core followers that reply, but over 90% don't bother too, assuming they even read the post in the first place! Maybe I don't post enough figure pics, which seem to be popular, concentrating rather on AAR's instead.

      Delete
    3. It's definitely a drop off everywhere from other bloggers I know, the AAR and scenarios can't be done elsewhere which is good, it's still a great way to record wargames adventures 👍

      Delete
  4. Very impressive Ken. Love those Italian spearmen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Peter, looking forward to getting them finished, in fact I'm just doing the last shields now 😀

      Delete
  5. Thanks for sharing, And I am digging the spearmen! Looking at the 3 half painted figs I accomplished over this month with shame now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks, I'm lucky in being a relatively quick painter 👍

      Delete
  6. Yes there is no question blog traffic has been overtaken by facebook, twitter and youtube and the like, but none of them quite offer the concise and quick access history of your personal wargames projects like blogger does and is why I keep using it. Even if nobody views it anymore it will remain a useful log of projects to go back to when needed. Oh btw spearmen looking great and really enjoy your podcasts!

    Christopher

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Christopher, it definitely has its place its just a shame its not used as much as it was

      Delete