Friday 18 December 2020

WW1 Indian Cavalry for Mesopotamia

 

Those in the know will be aware of my deep dive into the  world of the obscure when it comes to my search for suitable figures for Cavalry for Mesopotamia and Palestine in WW1. With Brigade Games a very expensive postage charge away in the US my search has finally hit gold.


God knows how I found these, some random tinterwebnet search during a bout of insomnia probably. So these are from a Company called Newline Designs and they are hidden away deep in the depths of their website. I struggle to find them now and I've bought some in the past !


But if you can negotiate the minefield in the drive, beat the dogs and cheat the cold electronic eyes, make it past the shotguns in the hall, dial the combination to open the priest hole, you too might find these figures to by on the Newline Website.


Newline (to me anyway) are better known for their 20mm Napoleonic range, these Cavalry sit will a couple of packs of late colonial infantry all on their own. I bought and painted 6 of them a few months ago, liked how they looked and bought another 18 to make up a unit.


So if you are new to wargames and are more used to the modern skirmish style of gaming, this is what a proper unit looks like ! 24 figures is bigger than most armies these days 🤣


The figures come with metal Lances but they looked a bit small to me, I also prefer the steel wire pikes for strength and the sharp pointed ends deter anyone from picking them up in a hurry, so I cut down some 100mm pikes I had lying around. I also used a couple of sword hands I had lying around in my Crusades spares box for the officers.


I've not been able to find any pictures of these troops with lance pennants in Mesopotamia so I have left them off the models. Likewise I have left the rifles off the side of the saddle, I found that (with no pin and guide hole) the connection was very fragile and interfered with the position of the lance on a number of poses so I left them off. If it's going to break whilst I'm building it, it's definitely going to break when being moved around in game action.


So with Covid still around and us Northerners remaining in Tier 3 despite massively reduced infection rates there will be no Xmas Game this year for these guys to make their debut in. Things will be going very ancient here very shortly but I've seen that Newline are having a 25% sale in January, which could well mean another unit !







22 comments:

  1. Those are smashing! I've heard of Newline, but thought they only produced an odd looking SF range.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think it helps that they are hidden away on their website, it took me nearly as long to find them the second time I looked for them !

      Delete
  2. Newline are becoming increasingly popular Ken, based upon the number of their figures I've seen on Blogs of late. These look great and a nice paint job to boot:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Steve, you right I have seen more of them around on social media recently 👍🏼

      Delete
  3. They look great! Kudo for finding them.

    Those big units look very impressive but most of us lack the table size to field them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Peter, table size has never worried me, look at my Castle 😅

      Delete
  4. I’m very amused by your postage charge comments. In Canada it’s always waaaay cheaper to order from the UK than the USA. The orange abomination isn’t the only one who fails to understand cross border commerce.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Even before the soon to be previous regime you got mugged in the UK, the 9 quid to the Post Office for collecting the tax did my nut in !

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Many thanks Ray, see you in the Challenge 👍🏼

      Delete
  6. Good looking troops. Quite the tale of persistence to find them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks, my search for Cavalry for Mesopotamia is worth a book !

      Delete
  7. https://newlinedesigns.co.uk/product/bengal-lancers/ :o))

    Love Sean's figures.. stupidly cheap when compared to other ranges, I have a lot of his ACW figures in the same scale, and the news about the sale in January means there'll be a few more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Steve, don't say they are too cheap, too loud he might put the prices up 😁

      Delete
  8. Replies
    1. I'm not sure the point your making 🤔 yes they are Sikh, the turban style and beard give it away, but in WW1 there wasn't a Sikh Army, it was an Indian Army, hence they are Indian Cavalry 😁

      Delete
  9. These look absolutely fantastic! I have a few 20 mm Newline figures and like them a lot.
    Regards, James
    (p.s. I think Francesc was having a play on words with 'sick'.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks James, I was just coming off the back of a wonderful Facebook discussion from someone who was complaining I'd put blue in the khaki ! They had a screen fault 😡 so wasn't in the best mood

      Delete
  10. Excellent work! Thats a cracking looking unit that has great mass! Didn't know Sean had 28mm WWI stuff but I try not to get tempted and only stay on the 20mm catalogues :-D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks, it was news to me as well, but I think I've been everywhere on the tinterwebnet to try and find Cavalry for WW1 Mesopotamia

      Delete
  11. Have you tried Warrior Miniatures figures? The are old school 25mm, but are cheap and just may be what you are looking for.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No pictures on website so never considered them, these will do for Indian Cavalry, Tiger Miniatures for my Turks and Empress are bringing some British out, happy days !

      Delete